The purpose that has fueled our passion since 1927
Canada is a great place to live! It’s a land of opportunity, public education for all families, and freedoms found in few other countries. But sadly, there is something missing.
In the 1930s, when we first began, hundreds of families lived and worked in rural Canada. They lived far from churches that could share with them the hope of Christ. They were “those with the least opportunity to hear.”
We chose to go find them. God led us to gather children in school houses and homes and called them Sunday Schools. We taught the Bible, shared the Gospel, and ultimately reached their whole family. We set up tents and called them Bible Camps, inviting these same children, and they came. They were eager to have fun and hungry to know more of Jesus. We made it our purpose to present the Gospel, particularly to those having the least opportunity to hear of Christ and especially children and youth, and we disciple believers to living and serving through His Church. We were the Canadian Sunday School Mission.
Now our name has changed to One Hope Canada, but our purpose remains the same.
What has not remained the same is our country. City populations are outgrowing the rural countryside. Technology now connects our communities. And sadly, more than ever, any remaining threads of Christian faith and the Bible are being plucked from the fabric of our nation. The chances of a Canadian child or youth hearing of the Christ of the Bible anywhere outside a church? Slim to none.
And so our burden remains steadfast: to focus on those with the least chance to hear of Christ. We continue to search for them, inviting them to our camps and community ministries. More than 20,000 children and youth walk through our doors every summer. Over 2,000 choose to receive Christ for the first time. Others renew their faith and continue to grow in their walk with Jesus.
Now, more than ever, our deepest desire is to share the love of Jesus Christ with these children and youth. Since 1927 we have welcomed and will continue to welcome campers and families of all backgrounds, even and especially those with different beliefs. We are committed to serving every person equally and joyfully.
Because we follow Christian beliefs and teaching, we are committed to providing an environment free from discrimination and harassment on protected grounds, as protected by provincial legislation. We believe that God created each person in His image, and of equal value in His sight. We believe every person is entitled to equal dignity, respect, and bodily integrity.
God loves us all equally, and we strive to pour love and care into each person who connects with One Hope Canada.
Come discover how we do it! Come explore the camps and community ministries serving in every province of this great country of Canada.
Statement of Faith - One Hope Canada
We believe in -
- The Divine inspiration and consequent authority of the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments. By the term Divine inspiration we mean the truthfulness and authority of both the Old and New Testament Scriptures in their entirety as the only written Word of God, without error in the original manuscripts and the only infallible rule of faith and practice.
- The doctrine of the Trinity, one God revealed as Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Creator of all things, infinitely perfect.
- The Deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, His miraculous conception, humanity, miracles, His death and burial, His bodily resurrection, ascension, and return.
- The personality of the Holy Spirit, whose ministry is to glorify the Lord Jesus Christ and during this age to convict men, regenerate the believing sinner, indwell, guide, instruct, and empower the believer for godly living and service.
- The creation of man in the image of God; that he sinned and thereby incurred not only physical death, but also spiritual death, and that all human beings are born with a sinful nature totally depraved and are incapable of pleasing God, and in the case of those who reach moral responsibility become culpable sinners, utterly lost, and only through being born again through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ alone, in whom we have redemption through His blood, can salvation and spiritual life be obtained.
- The resurrection of the body, the eternal life of the saved, the eternal punishment of the lost. After death all men continue in conscious existence, the believers being "absent from the body but present with the Lord," the lost in everlasting conscious torment.
- The personality of Satan as a created being and an adversary of God.